Bettman rejects NHLPA counter offers
Two days after the NHL proposed an offer that Commissioner Gary Bettman believed could allow for a full season, the NHL rejected the NHLPA’s counter-proposal.
Bettman referred to the counter offers as a “step backward.”
“It’s clear we’re not even speaking the same language,” Bettman said, according to USA Today.
According to Bettman, all three of the NHLPA’s offers were a variation of the union’s original proposal. Under that original proposal players would get raises the next three seasons. In the league’s proposal from Tuesday, the players’ share of hockey-related revenue would immediately drop from 57-percent to 50-percent.
Bettman also said that there are no new discussions planned and his negotiating committee is heading back to New York. Bettman said the NHLPA is encouraged to call if it wants to discuss something.
The commissioner said he believed the NHL’s offer from earlier this week was the best way to guarantee that there would be a full 82-game season. The proposal had called for settlement of the lockout on Oct. 25 so that a full season could start on Nov. 2.
Bettman also suggested that the Winter Classic is at risk because of the amount of money that goes into preparing for the outdoor game. The decision to cancel the event would need to be made soon.
“I wish I had better news,” Bettman said.