Gameday recipe: bacon cheddar cheese dip
This is a recipe that was given to me by a good friend. Every time I make it, it’s the first thing gone. And it’s insanely easy, so it’s perfect for a last-minute tailgating treat. I also have a lot of friends watching what they eat, so sometimes I sub reduced fat cream cheese, sour cream and cheddar and even use turkey bacon, and it’s still a hit!
What you will need:
- 1 8oz. package of cream cheese (softened)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb. bacon
- 2 loaves sourdough bread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook bacon according to directions and crumble.
- Cut out the center of one of the loaves of bread.
- Mix cream cheese, sour cream, bacon and cheddar cheese.
- Fill hollowed out loaf and cook in oven for 45 minutes.
- Cut up the rest of the sourdough bread into bite-sized pieces.
I usually use the pre-cooked bacon you can just heat up in the microwave, it a HUGE timesaver!
Make sure to put the loaf on a cookie sheet before popping it into the oven, you will get some overflow of the dip bubbling over.
You can also serve the dip with vegetables. Celery, carrots and broccoli work best.
45 minutes seems like a really long time for this dip, but fight the urge to take it out of the oven early, it needs to stay in the entire time.